Wednesday, June 8, 2022

THE POETRY STREET EXPERIENCE: THE FUTURE IS NOW

 

Remember your first love? Your first time…experiencing something that jellied your insides and now moves your mouth corners upward in reminiscence? Well, that kinda sums up my first experience as a featured reader at Poetry Street on May 28, 2022, and I wouldn’t have had that experience without the [insert preferred superlative here] folks at Poetry Street. Chip, Maggie, Susan, Bubbie (and betting you had something to do with it too Judy), I’ll be ever grateful.

photo courtesy of istock
I’m still trying to tuck sharing a mic with Brie Onishea and the other open mic poets in my first extended reading into my treasure chest. But the experience is so HUGE, and the chest is dang near full! Maybe there’s something down near the bottom of the chest I can shift to another location. But enough about my experience (which I’m hoping to be able to share in video soon).

Takudzwa Chikepe
June 25th promises to be another treasure-chest experience with Takudzwa “Taku” Chikepe, AKA VaChikepe the Poet, bringing the heat straight from the motherland-Zimbabwe tobe specific-and Marsha Nelson’s tingling tropical breezes blowing through the Poetry Street Zoom room. Marsha just happens to hail from Trinidad & Tobago, the same soil from which I sprouted. What are the odds that two Trinis would be featured readers in consecutive months at any non-island venue? Those odds are probably of Jack-Spratian proportions. But at Poetry Street the odds are definitely defiable. 

Marsha Nelson
You can find out more about the 25th’s feature readers at the Poetry Street website (https://poetrystreetontheroad.com/our-poets-page-3). You can also find videos of past Poetry Street readings by scrolling down a bit on the “HOME” page. But if you really wanna know more, show up on the 25th. Looking forward to seeing you there.


2 comments:

JUST A FEW POETRY X HUNGER 2023 HIGHLIGHTS

  Note: Please click on photos for enhanced viewing Well, 2023 has been quite the year for Poetry X Hunger and its poets! I don’t have what...