Friday, September 23, 2022

THE SAILORS REVIEW NO.62: A SPECIAL VOYAGE

Note: Click on photos to enlarge for better viewing

The Sailors Review (TSR)
, a digital premier arts publication with Zimbabwean roots, has yet to disappoint. From the very first piece on a 15-year-old published author, Phakemenkosi Mangena, to the ending classifieds, Issue No.62 of TSR is a voyage worth taking.

Mbira DzeNharira’s
song Bhurugwa Rembwa officially published on the 12th of August 2022. This song was published by The Sailors Music Collection a speaks to parts of me beyond my conscious experience and although I can’t decipher the lyrics of the song and don’t know if it’s connected to the following quote, I find kinship in both the song and quote:

"As human beings we tend to dwell on trivialities, we love all the other creations but hate fellow humans with a passion. Bombs, guns, missiles whose sole purpose is to kill one another are big business worldwide. Let us redefine the purpose of life and do away with sick minds that thrive on physically destroying ourselves”
~Tendayi Gahamadze (2022)

VaChikepe the Poet’s How Far Are We From Food?, set to pulsing, piercing sounds of music, is for lack of a better term, arresting, much in the way hunger arrests healthy development of body, mind, and spirit. Takudzwa Chikepe, captain of VaChikepe and The 100 Sailors  understands the needs of the entire being and it shows.

Kennedy Ochieng
photo courtesy of 
plotscreativesmagazine.com
And I am continually amazed by poets who write eloquently in a language not native to them as I was by Kennedy Ochieng’s Teeth. I am including the final two stanzas below just to give you a sense of what these poets can do in a second language:

As the teeth peep through
The narrow windows of our smile
Giving a reflection of our heart
As sun's heat warm our souls
Even when its stare scare.

Never deny nature
One of the most precious gifts
The gift of a smile and love
That surpasses human understanding
Like showers of rain that kiss the desert

Love of a different kind
by J C Wayne
And TSR does not omit the creative offerings of those whose native language is English. One of my favorite poartists, JC Wayne, founder and steward of The Poartry Project, is featured in POETRY FROM AMERCA, and she delivers a thought-provoking ekphrastic poem, MUNCH’S MADONNA, in response to Edvard Munch’s lithograph entitled Madonna. She also graces TSR’s pages with two of her own creations.

Martin Chivaku
And what a story to encounter in Martin Chivaku’s profile of Freddy Macha, An African Influent! A multi-talented individual if there ever was one, Macha’s story is compelling. Even the story he tells about how he started writing is alluring. If you read nothing else, I recommend this piece. Of course, you’d be missing out on an awful lot if you limited yourself to this one piece.

J R Turek
Another of my favorite poets (as well as people) is featured in this TSR issue. Judy “J R” Turek, The Purple Poet, graces TSR’s pages in answer to Brian Manyati’s interview questions. Those who frequent online poetry venues might recognize Judy as the poet who has written “at least 365 new poems each year…” for the past 18 years. I happen to have five of her books, the most I’ve held by any author ever! Do you think Judy cares much about poetry? Well, in TSR she writes:

“For those who think there’s nothing to write about, consider this. I have a collection of poems on dust. Yes, dust. Close your eyes, open your eyes, there are poems waiting to be written everywhere.

"For me, poetry is like breathing – I can’t imagine my life without it. I love the metaphor ‘poetry is in my blood.’ If I slit open a vein, poetry would pour out.” 

Three of J R's
Poetry Collections
In another segment Judy writes, “I am grateful every day of my life that I am who I am and that I do what I do.” I imagine that I am one among many who also am grateful that Judy is who she is and does what she does. If all you know of Judy is her online presence and her six books of poetry, this is another piece to curl up with.

Poem by Makomborero Nhau
I have already gone well beyond where I intended with this post, but that is the effect The Sa
ilors Review has on me. I start with the intent of doing a quick browse, and a quick note on Meta/Facebook about the current issue, and the next thing I know, I’m listening to music and reading intriguing piece after intriguing piece. So, for all the many wonders in TSR # 62, you'll just have to see for yourself. Till next....T. A.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JUST A FEW POETRY X HUNGER 2023 HIGHLIGHTS

  Note: Please click on photos for enhanced viewing Well, 2023 has been quite the year for Poetry X Hunger and its poets! I don’t have what...