Saturday, May 14, 2022

INTRODUCTION TO POETIC EXPRESSION: PART 2

Thinking About Poetry & Me

Do the words sing and dance? Do ear bells ring? Does your chest swell or shrink? Do stomach muscles contract and wring unease from twisted sinew? Do ideas collide in kaleidoscope, do they sneak up and tap you on the shoulder when you were listening the other way? Do you find yourself surfing melancholy seas, swimming in memories too deep to wade or splashing in shallow froth of everyday experience? Does your head bow in reverence or shake in abhorrence? Do your hands demand to clap, do your fingers command a snap? Do you soar and crash and thrash and gnash and wonder how the hell you got there? Chances are good that your eyes, your ears and all the pieces of you that matter have been claimed if but for a moment by poetic manna.

Poetry is like jello, a granite boulder, a morphing cloud, a cement stanchion, it’s rocket fuel and quicksand, plaintive entreaties and strident commands, it slinks and swaggers, hollers from mountain tops and weakly whispers your name and every other, wraps its arms around your shoulders like a favorite brother, stares you down before it winks, trips you up before lifting you up with extended hand, it shuns you, it pulls you close, it captures freedom, corrodes common chains and releases…releases both joy and pain…

It is the reader, the listener, who will determine whether my expressions are poetic or not. I write about what moves me, what stimulates or stomps my senses. Of course, I’m hoping to touch your senses too. Ultimately, I suspect these expressions say, what we call poetry says, “I’m here in the world with you. This is how I experience it. Can you see it through my eyes? Can you hear it through my ears? Can taste it with my tongue? Can you caress it with my fingers? Can you inhale it with my flared nostrils? Can you feel it, Can you feel it…Do you want to?”

Okay, enough! I wanna blast this blogpost off into the ethersphere and let it do its thing. Glad you dropped by. Oh, before I go, in my world, poetry can be visual, can be auditory, can be both. Sometimes it has to be both to get the point of a particular piece across. For example, in the piece below, Gibberish Gjourney- written during the Stroll of Poets 30/30 Challenge- you have to be able to read the actual lines and hear the sounds to grasp the essence of the piece…and even then the grasping might still be a challenge:

Gibberish Gjourney

Tired of dwelling in Illing Noise, I thought I’d head for Truth or Consequences- an abandoned city.

I’d heard that there were meticulously constructed

but empty structures still standing in Convention Square there.


I had passed through Normal, skirted Cancer City

when I saw a phrase stumble over the border wall

and fall before climbing into a sentence

without brakes and unpunctuated tireds…

The map hadn’t shown that wall…

My maps often omitted phantoum structures anyway…go figure…


Anywho, the phrase must have realized its predicament

because without apparent clause it climbed out the window

and, like an idiom, slipped across Stanza Blvd

and started hitchhiking to…No Meaning Whatsoever…


Meanwhile, ideas zigged and zagged like cracks spreading

in asphalt too much driven over, their fragments dangling

over roadside railings as if to jump into the nothingness

waiting below to catch some significance


I found out that Reason had left Rhyme

two counties behind trying to catch a ride

with a broken thumb that couldn’t even bully a pinkie anymore...

it was forced to try another finger…


A few miles down the road Simile, in its euphemism,

tried to saunter past the border sans clue about the sin tax on metaphornication. She almost got edited without bail,

but Cliche rolled up in a Deus ex Machina

disguised as a Deuce and a Quarter, paid the toll

and they drove on down the road together

in reminiscence of obsolescence and four-play.


They laughed about the time Naked Rhythm and barely-dressed Rhyme

tried to penetrate the membrane between Mumbo and Jumbo

and hy men- beyond compare in contrasting uniforms- put a stop

to that none sense and rode Rhythm and Rhyme outta town on a qua train.


A nagging nagging nagging thought kept recurring…I

was as mad as Max in a palindrome, only had a little rations left

and since I’d already be cum a master baiter of hyperbaton,

I thought I’d better double entendre back the way I’d cum…


Now, well-versed in aimless travel, I reflect on that an epic odyssey of a journey to which this piece is an oderous homage or omage if you prefer- I know some people pay omahj to Tarjay…

I hadn’t found Truth and the only consequence is that I find myself right back in Illing Noise where I started, far too close to Normal.


Again, even with eyes glued and ears peeled, this piece might be a challenge for many to consume. But that’s just in keeping with who I am anyway, soooo…until the next time, as my man Hiram would say, “Here’s to poetry!” Whatever that is to you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

JUST A FEW POETRY X HUNGER 2023 HIGHLIGHTS

  Note: Please click on photos for enhanced viewing Well, 2023 has been quite the year for Poetry X Hunger and its poets! I don’t have what...