Saturday, May 14, 2022

INTRODUCTION TO POETIC EXPRESSIONS: PART 1

So why Poetic Expressions instead of Poetry? Well, because I'm not sure what poetry is. But I do know what I consider poetic. Most of what I write here will be attempts to express myself poetically. By poetically, I mean trying to be creative with language in various ways. I mean writing in a way that if read aloud, some sort of rhythm and flow can be detected, and for the most part, it doesn't sound like everyday speech. 

I have no formal poetry training or education. To date I haven't been to a single poetry workshop. In fact, I have been to one writing workshop period. And that was because I received a scholarship in 2021 to a nonfiction/memoir workshop conducted by the Community of Writers. It's quite likely that that was my first and last workshop. I will always be grateful for that experience. 

I say that to let you know that you are likely to find all sorts of expressions here, ones that may or may not meet the "poetry establishment" standards. I couldn't say because I don't know what they are, and don't have much interest in trying to find out. I am merely trying to express thoughts, emotions, observations, musings and meanderings and hoping to strike an emotional chord and stimulate some thought in those who choose to stop by.

I had the writing of a book of poetry in mind, but since my immersion in the world of poetry over the past 10 months, I've decided to abandon that idea. I had a name for the book (From the Core: Expressions from the depths of heart and mind), was well on my way to compiling the pieces for the book, had cover art that I intended to use, and had a draft introduction. Matter of fact, here are the three images I was considering for cover art:



And here was the intro draft:

"What is poetry?" one may ask. Poetry is the author’s expression of self… a word picture drawn by pen in the colors of life spied thru author’s lens… well I guess these days it really isn’t a pen in most cases…

But that’s the very sweetest thing about poetry you don’t have to follow all the rules, it is free and freeing… if you find yourself capable of seeing that fact and can allow yourself to act without the fetters that constrain you…normally…

Oh, you aren’t normal? Then perhaps you, too, expel inner demons with words… do tell…

Pain doesn’t stain when belched free in a flurry of fingers…a heart’s song is sung louder when the singer’s digits dabble on keys…oh yeah… or perhaps with pen…

Ya know sharing has always been a big deal for me and that is what I seek to do with poetry. If my expressions tickle your fancy, coax a smile, lick your ear like a teasing lover, squeeze your heart just little bit, then call it poetry. If it doesn’t, just think of it as sharing. 

When you’re all done, you will have consumed a piece of me and somehow I will have consumed a piece of you…don’t ask me how just take my word for it…that’s what you have to do anyway with this stuff…ain’t it?

Okay, that's probably enough for this post. For more on my take on poetry, check out Introduction to Poetic Expressions: Part 2- Thinking About Poetry & Me. And if interested in how/why this thing got started, check out Poetic Beginnings. Glad you took the time to hang out with me for a bit. Until next time...

No comments:

Post a Comment

JUST A FEW POETRY X HUNGER 2023 HIGHLIGHTS

  Note: Please click on photos for enhanced viewing Well, 2023 has been quite the year for Poetry X Hunger and its poets! I don’t have what...