Tuesday, July 26, 2022

BUKOWSKI MUSINGS PROMPTED BY PHYNNECABULARIUM

 

When I was a doctoral student some almost 30 years ago now, I used to say, “I am the most ignorant doctoral student you’ll ever meet.” And I wasn’t kidding, and it wasn’t false modesty. Likewise, for those who insist on calling me a “poet,” (I do my best to avoid as many labels as I possibly can) I will say that I am the most ignorant “poet” you’ll ever meet.

Until today, when I listened to Phynne-Belle’s Phynnecabularium, I don’t believe I had read a single Charles Bukowski poem. But today, I listened to Phynne read Bukowski’s The Genius of the Crowd.  Although the entire poem is worthy of a listen, after several hours of attending poetry readings on Zoom, the most apropos section of the poem to me was the following:

beware the preachers
beware the knowers
beware those who are always reading books
beware those who either detest poverty
or are proud of it
beware those quick to praise
for they need praise in return
beware those who are quick to censor
they are afraid of what they do not know
beware those who seek constant crowds for
they are nothing alone
beware the average man the average woman
beware their love, their love is average
seeks average

I’ve heard Bukowski’s named dropped countless times over this past year of Zoom poetry immersion, and it seems to me, his name is being dropped by some of the very folks he appears to be describing in this piece. Yes, I’d like to have a discussion about the meaning of Bukowski’s poem, and surely there is a venue out there where discussing the potential and myriad meanings of a poem is par for the course. I haven’t found that venue yet.

What I have found are “people who are always reading books” including Bukowski’s. I have found so many “knowers” who “know” what everyone wants and needs. I have met many who are “quick to praise” regardless (just check out the chats). I have encountered those who appear to “seek constant crowds.” Cognitive dissonance descends.

It appears to me that “average” is exalted…no surprise, since that also appears to be the standard operating procedure in this society. Yep, I have heard quite a few harangues about “elites” and “elitism” But then I suppose a lot of my cognitive dissonance comes from old-fashioned notions about language and its use.

I am fascinated by people who are quick to bash elites yet are quite happy to be designated as “elite.” After all, who wins poetry contests, receives Pushcart nominations and Pulitzers? Duh, they are elite…at least in the minds of those evaluating them. Here’s an old-fashioned definition for elite: “a select group that is superior in terms of ability or qualities to the rest of a group or society” (Google search). 

Yes, there are multiple and nuanced meanings of “elite,” but the essence of the concept is that there are some who are “superior” to others…at least at some things and in some ways. It fascinates me how we worship the elite on the one hand, while condemning them on the other.

In this society, truth is but a mythical value. Everything is subservient to “feel good,” and since those with unbalanced egos won’t “feel good” if they see themselves or are seen by others as “inferior,” then truth must be banished if the truth is that they truly are inferior in whatever domain we’re evaluating. Even those who feel or think themselves to be superior play this game.

I used to be a competitive tennis player, but I had no problem admitting that there were a host of other players who were superior to me on the court. One of my most memorable matches was one that I lost. The other player, at least for one match and perhaps in general, was superior to me. So what? I suspect I’m swimming in the wrong pond.

Perhaps I am okay with being inferior in any domain because no individual domain defines me? Perhaps it is because I value “truth” above “feel good?” Perhaps it’s because I value excellence wherever I find it- whether that is within me or in another.

I remember walking to a football game with a friend who was bashing the rich. I responded, “Why are you bashing the rich when that is precisely who and what you are trying to become?” I suspect the elite don’t bash the elite…except when it helps them sustain their elite position. Speaking of elite, Bukowski sure sounds like an “elitist” to me. He doesn’t sound like a fan of “average.”

And then, I imagine maybe it is related to the “all people are created equal” concept, itself a fallacy if the meaning of that concept isn’t explored fully. But who has time to explore meaning in this soundbite, market-and-marketing-driven society? Old, retired dudes like me I suppose…except I’ve been doing such exploration for a lifetime. Yet I remain absolutely baffled by humanity.

I should probably address the term “elitist” before I get cancelled—the hip and modern euphemism for censored-plus—by those who want to keep the prevailing narratives chugging right along. Another Google search produced: “…supporting the view that a society or system should be led by an elite.” Hmm, let’s see…

Raise your hand if you want someone “average” leading your sports team? How about your business? Would you prefer an “average” teacher teaching your children or an “elite” one? Would you prefer an “average” financial manager handling your financial affairs or an “elite” one? Tell me one thing that really matters where you’d prefer having someone average handling it if an elite individual was available…all other things being equal of course.

Perhaps it is my alien nature, but I want an elite to show me the way if I am not too sure of the way myself. And when I use the term elite, I mean an actual, demonstrated elite, not merely someone designated by others or who designates themselves as elite.  

If I am going on a hike in an unknown forest or even a known one, I want an elite guide (one who has traversed this and maybe other forests with skill) to lead me. If I’m going into uncharted waters, I would prefer an elite captain (one who has sailed the waters successfully many times). I imagine it is my limited perspective getting in the way, but I can’t see why I would want it any other way…unless it wasn’t important to me to make it out of the forest or to reach my destination on land.

I suppose, given all the name-dropping, and his view of “the average man the average woman” (yes, I know, we need to consider changing the language of his poem, right?), that Bukowski is an elite. Somehow that seems okay to those who drop his name…or maybe, they don’t really understand Bukowski at all. Maybe, its another name to drop so people won’t think they’re average?

I don’t know. Perhaps you can tell that I am merely wrestling above my weight with the many wrestlers who are my superior.😉

 

No comments:

Post a Comment

JUST A FEW POETRY X HUNGER 2023 HIGHLIGHTS

  Note: Please click on photos for enhanced viewing Well, 2023 has been quite the year for Poetry X Hunger and its poets! I don’t have what...